Re: [at-l] A.D.A. & A.T.

> Did y'all read the letter from Earl Shaffer in the new ATN?  He was talking
> about how "the rocks, roots, mud holes, and stream wadings now prevalent
> are a disgrace" in Maine, and how he'll "never hike there again".  How did
> this strike y'all?

Good. Too bad he didn't stumble across sodomizing pot growers
to make his gripe complete. In my book, you can't scare away
too many people from the A.T. in Maine. Bring on the Reddington
windmills.

>                   My thoughts were that the rocks and roots above ground
> are the result of so many happy hikers compressing the dirt around them.
> He goes on and on about how the route had been laid out and shelters built
> years ago, but where are they now? Has the trail in Maine been moved a
> lot over the years?

Since the time when he'd previously hiked the Appalachian Trail,
roughly a quarter to a third of it has been rerouted in Maine.
Most of my backpacking memories as a young puke are of hiking
sections of the trail that no longer exist (e.g. the Speck
firewarden trail, the cataracts along Frye Brook, Clearwater
Brook trail). The reroutes are, for the most part, esthetically
pointless. How do y'all like the view from Crocker?

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine         $
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->