RE: [at-l] Re: A.D.A. & A.T.

Galehead is in National Forest - not National Park but that doesn't make any
difference.

AMC did the construction at a time when the new ADA rules for hiking trails
were still under construction. The new rules still have several public
comment periods to go though to become final. Even if they pass more or less
as currently written, it is not clear that they cover public, enclosed, for
fee, facilities which clearly have to obey the usual ADA rules for buildings
under current rules. I suspect AMC took the cheap out and just did it rather
than wait for years, large lawyers fees and bad publicity for it to drag its
way though the courts.

The base problem is that lawyers are incapable of writing laws that don't
have unforseen consequences as is the case with the current laws applied to
Galehead. I also suspect that they don't try very hard so there are plenty
of court cases to keep them busy.