Re: [at-l] Re: A.D.A. & A.T.

In a message dated 11/23/99 11:47:20 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
lwbooher@evansville.net writes:

<< Did y'all read the letter from Earl Shaffer in the new ATN?  He was talking
 about how "the rocks, roots, mud holes, and stream wadings now prevalent
 are a disgrace" in Maine, and how he'll "never hike there again".  >>

I personally never had a problem with the trail in Maine and thought it was
absolutely beautiful.   I also took my sweet time with 17 miles being my
highest mileage day and a three mile slack, between roads in Monson, as the
lowest.  I never did take a whole day off and took 28 days to do it in.

In all fairness to Earl, he was at the end of a thru-hike at age 79.  When I
reached Maine, it was after 700 miles and I was cruising over the rocks,
roots and mud holes.

In my opinion, it's the best state on the AT in which to hike, and then
there's Katahdin!

ymmv,  Sly