[at-l] Grand Canyon

A long time lurker speaks out :-)

Those who have hiked the AT or part of the AT will find that hiking the
Grand Canyon is quite different. It is a combination of bureaucracy and fees
that will try your patience.

I first went there 11 years ago and have been back about 6 times since then.
This next spring I am taking my ten year old grandson there IF all the
permits come through.

There are fees for entering the park, getting a permit and a per person/day
fee for each night spent in the backcountry.

The best source for information is :http://www.kaibab.org/
Go to the Backcountry Information section after selecting your image
resolution.

The most important item is to plan ahead. Reservations open up 4 months
before the hiking date ( dec 1st for April) and the park service gets 4 to 6
hundred requests in the first three weeks of the request period.

The good news is that you can Charge your permit fee's and submit your
permit request by FAX.

There are waiting lists maintained by the rangers, but a wait of two or
three days is not unusual for the more popular routes in the more popular
months.

Most popular hiking months are April, May , Sep  and Oct. Remember the
temperature at thr river can be approximated by the temperature of Las Vegas
at the time of the year you want to go. It is not unusual to have snow on
the south rim and have temperatures in the 70's at the river in April.

Send me some email if you have any particular questions?
mike_aken@mailexcite.com

Mike  Ga>>NH 99

                                          MIKE AKEN

I hike alone sometimes. Its during these solo hikes that the number of
arrogant  and ignorant people I have  to deal      with is reduced to one.

                                                       Jack Hampson