[at-l] Re: CAMPFIRES-long

Ed Kendall posted an interesting treatise on the negative effects of
campfires. One thing that struck me about the Blood Mountain fires is that
ALL campfires are banned
in the Blood Mountain wilderness area. There are signs stating such at
trailheads throughout the area. I have found that in a remote area as the
AT, rules can be meaningless because of the lack of law enforcement
immediately available...'course, one of the reasons we head to the
backcountry is to get away from government bureaucracy. Therefore, I suggest
that education is much more important than rules.

My .02 worth

Mike