Re: [at-l] Handicapp Access

Lots of nice things said about the topic, but---
There is no standard, encompassing, goal expressed on land
use--especially government controlled lands. You could not get (haven't
gotten) AT-Lto express a single goal how can you get a single plan for
managing the land.  Some special interest groups (i.e. S.Club) are
politically motivated and seek "wilderness" as an item for "control".
handicapped groups (I am handicapped) seek to lower all challenges to
the lowest common denominator. The days of Lewis & Clark wilderness
experiences are all but gone. I don't think the the AT will ever be a
wilderness--unless nature is allowed to reclaim it--that will never
happen.

To experience what remains is a noble goal. My kids will never
experience camping on Springer as I have. They will never experience
communications as I have. They will never experiene some of the douglas
firs I have, but I will never experinece some of what they will
experience. How many of us would give up fleece for Ed Garvey's kakis.
We certainly couldn't endure what our fore-fathers endured. Wilderness
(and wilderness travel) will be defined by each generation. Each
generation will define their own challenges and carry parts of their own
civilization into their wilderness attempting to overcome what ever is
there.

While we should help handicapped individuals reach as far as their
limitations willl allow, they sould also allow and encourage everyone
else to reach their fullest potential even if it means they are left in
the dust in certain experiences in life.  As a society we should be
lifting each other up to new heights not trying to find common
denominators. Mayby we can clebrate the differences.

Just an old man's thoughts,
Turtle