Re[2]: [at-l] Handicapp Access

     WARNING: POSSIBLE INFLAMMATORY POST. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

     I have to disagree with OrangeBug. I have seen "trail maintenance" go
     from a private, amateur, volunteer-driven activity to a realm of
     bureaucracy-driven projects designed by "certified experts" whose
     whole purpose is to keep the work going. In Public Administration
     terms, "Spend up to your budget" -- in money OR it time -- to ensure
     that everyone sees how "necessary" all of the efforts (and tax
     dollars) are. I don't think you can use a chainsaw on an AT project
     any longer without being "certified." Now, GATC gets informed that
     their VOLUNTEERS are not "needed" to work on the Blood Mountain fire
     BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT "CERTIFIED." Blah blah blah.

     What this translates to for trail maintenance OR TRAIL DESIGN
     decisions is that there is a large machine, at the federal, state, and
     yes, even the club level, which is oriented at nothing more than
     finding the next project, and fitting that project to the available
     time. Yes, this goes for the ATC, too. These decisions are not driven
     by trail need, but by the need to justify the existence of "A Solution
     Looking for a Problem." The "decision" to provide "Handicapp Access"
     was the output of a machine; it was not "customer driven."

     I don't mean to denigrate anyone's efforts; we need to proceed with
     MUCH more caution, though, in how we "maintain" our trails. I don't
     know if the AT has become "harder" (as Earl Shaffer et.al. have spoken
     to) or "easier" (as implied in this thread), but I have heard plenty
     about projects for "the bridge *needed* at the X_____ Stream
     crossing." My own (very small) organization has a very cute T-shirt, a
     logo of a crossed ax and Pulaski, and written around it is the saying
     "There's no such thing as a trail that couldn't stand a little
     improvement." We're young, we're small, we get more done than clubs
     many times our size, but we too are absolutely guilty of "make work"
     projects. What ever happened to a trip to the woods with a litter bag
     and clippers/scythe? No,....most wait till the (certified)
     chainsawyers, treated lumber/rebar, and surveyors come out.

     Trail imperfections are part of the trail experience. Differences in
     trail design and maintenance, signage and lean-tos, reflect the
     differences of the *volunteer* clubs *and*individuals* who devote
     their time, money, gasoline, sweat and brawn; these are also part of
     the trail experience. And, to be clear, to "standardize" is to dilute
     that trail experience.

     The Long Trail *may*be* our longest wilderness path.

     Don't have a bureaucratic day,
     Sloetoe.