[at-l] Handicapped Access

The way I decided to be sure that the backpacking community perspective was placed in the arena was to Volunteer to assist our State Senator Max Clelland with any legislation that pertains to handicapped access along trails in Georgia.

If or when I get asked to help, I'll ask for input from the backpacking community.

I'm not against limited access to points on the AT for handicapped, but I am against paving the AT from Georgia to Maine, or the PCT, or any other long trail.  I think there are plenty of good side trails that are ready or need very little to make them ready for wheel-chair access.  And I think that if WE get involved, then we can have a positive influence on the placement of these accessible trails.

It's coming folks -- so let's work with those who are going to make the changes.   Better to be involved in the planning stages than to try to change minds after they've already been made up!

Coosa