Re: [at-l] Walking in the South-lightly

OrangeBug wrote:
>I didn't read that into the book at all. He uses common stereotypes and
>images as a comic tool, much as any writer.

My statement still holds, Bryson didn't use a stereotype at all, he used
REAL PEOPLE and he made fun of a little old lady who has had a stroke and
deserves RESPECT not a low-blow attempt at humor.  Jeff Foxworthy uses
stereotypes.   Bill Cosby uses stereotypes (Fat Albert doesn't exist).
Bryson used a human being who was too frail and disabled to defend herself
from his insensitive attack.   How would you feel if that was your mother or
grandmother he was describing in those terms?

As for me lightening up, I enjoy redneck and blonde jokes -- those are
stereotypes which I occasionally fit like a glove -- and which is why I
think they're so funny -- yet I've never heard someone start a Blonde Joke
with "Dolly Parton . . . . "  or "Marilyn Monroe . . . ." or "Princess Diana
. . . "  They always start with "A blonde . . . ."    And why?  Because
Dolly would sue, Marilyn is an icon, and Diana is respected.   So why a joke
about Mrs Mull's mother?  She couldn't or didn't sue, she's not an icon, and
she's not respected???

Or how about a joke about whatever your personal disability is starting out:
W.F. Thorneloe . . .   You're a physician?    I am sure there are a lot of
doctor jokes out there that wouldn't be nearly as 'funny' if instead of "a
doctor" your name was inserted.

Anyway, Personal Attacks on Real People, whether living or dead, are not
what Hiking or Backpacking is about.

In fact, I don't think Personal Attacks on Real People is what any part of
living is about -- at least not here in the South,   Coosa