Re: [at-l] Proof for Doubting Orangebugs

At 07:19 PM 11/15/1999 -0500, bullard@northnet.org wrote:
>On the ABC Evening News tonight there was a story about Glucosamine
>Sulfate. It seems that the Arthritis Foundation has found significant
>benefit in taking Glucosamine Sulfate to halt the progress of Rheumatoid
>Arthritis. They noted the decreased loss of cartilage among the study
>participants who took Glucosamine.

While ABC News fails to meet my standards as a medical journal, I have
tracked down the report from a presentation at the American College of
Rheumatology convention. The study was well designed, with a single dose of
Glucosamine 1500 mg daily. Results were impressive with both symptomatic
and radiological improvement. Of course, this was a European study with a
controlled compound, not the non-standardized and unpredictable additives
sold in the US.

What does this mean? Glucosamine is safe and may be helpful in treatment of
osteoarthritis. It does not mean that this should substitute for other
treatment, or that standard treatment plus Glucosamine would be better. It
does not ensure immunity from repetitive injury for those of us trashing
our knees on the hills of North Georgia and points north. I would make no
judgement of benefit for at least 12 weeks of routine use.

Of course, discussion with a real world doctor is highly advisable. YMMV

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA