Re: [at-l] Gear & Weight for January Hike

At 12:20 PM 11/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Any suggestions are gladly appreciated.
>

>Gloves or Mittens haven't decided yet      4oz

John....I'll admit to be prejudiced, but I'd go with two sets of gloves or
gloves
and mittens.  If you look around, you can find really lightweight stretch
fleece gloves.
Get them and get used to wearing them all the time...practice wearing them
to cook,
filter and everything else so that your hands are always covered.  There is
a lot
circulation in your hands which means you can loose a lot of heat through
them as
well (just like your head).  This is a big issue when you hit camp all hot
and sweaty,
and pull off mittens to set camp.. a prime time for chilling
problems.  Plus cold
hands are slow hands.  I found mine at wallmart a couple years ago and
bought a ton.
They look like little kid gloves because of the stretch factor, which is
important for
a snug fit which lets you retain hand mobility.  Hope this helps.