[at-l] Veteran's Day Observations

I didn't have a beer in remembrance of fellow vets (as someone suggested)
but only because I never drink beer. Bucky referred to the day as
"Remembrance Day" which is the Canadian version of Veteran's Day. I assume
that's because, like me he lives very close to the border. More of my
ancestors were Canadian than Americans, my wife is Canadian and I we both
have relatives there.

Like many on this list I frequently listen to NPR but today my radio is
tuned to CBC Ottawa where they have spent the day (so far) playing
requested music in memory of specific veterans, reading recollections of
them and talking to veterans and their families about their memories.

On NPR the fare was 'business as usual', current news, a talk show about
snigglets (made up words), etc. I have heard barely a mention of Veteran's
Day. Although most government offices and banks are closed the stores are
all open and only the odd one here and there is even bothering to use the
holiday as an excuse for a sale. They're already having their Pre-Christmas
sales and when I went in search of a flag to hang out I learned that flags
are 'seasonal' merchandise and this isn't the season according to retailers.

The contrast with Canada makes me wonder if we in the US are forgetting
what it was like to have to defend our country. There's no draft today. We
have a professional military and weapons that are technological horrors to
do it for us. I'm not sad that my son did to have to spend time in the Army
as I did and I'm certainly not sad that he never had to go to war but I see
a danger in forgetting. I hope that as a nation we do not forget.

Saunterer