[at-l] Gear List

I haven't loaded all this into the pack yet and don't know how much it
weighs.  I did load most of it, though, with a couple of heavy books, as I
went to a conference at Unicoi Lodge and camped in the campground this past
weekend.  I think waht I have here in manageable.  I appreciate and am
sensitive to the criticism that I have too much warm clothes.  I do not need
those for the beginning of the hike as temps are only into the forties at
night.  But, it is mid-November in the N. Ga. mountains (Is it mid Nov where
you are?)  and it can get into the low 20s.  So, I'd place the warmer clothes
in a drop box and leave it at Neel's Gap.

Decided the thermarest was just too much.

A sad note.  I received a call from my family Tuesday night.  My 90 year old
grandmother is in critical condition and is expected to cast off her mortal
mantle at any time.  Thus, my trip, scheduled for 11/13 - 11/21, and the
first 50 or 63 miles of the AT is off.  I don't know when I'll be able to go.
 But I am ready for when the time arrives.

My grandmother was a wonderful woman.  She had a hard life, but a good life.
A good life.  For the last 5 years or so, because of her sweet, sweet nature,
she has been happy and, because of her demetia, has been ignorant of where
she was.  It's been sad for the family to see her like that, but for her it's
been pretty good.  Now it appears that she has developed lung cancer (she
never smoked) which was only recently discovered and may have had a slight
heart attack.  The doctors are treating her pain with morphine and she sleeps
almost all the time.  My family tells me they can hear her wheezing.  But,
the key thing is that even now she is not suffering.  The family, and she has
many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, her children and
children in law with us older grand children are all agreed that she should
be allowed to pass peacefully into that good night.  So, as soon as I catch
up with a couple of significant matters at work, I'm headed to South Georgia

Gear List

Kelty Super Tioga External Frame Pack
Kelty Vortex 2 Tent
Kelty Nylon ground cloth
Komperdell Red Feather Hiking Poles
Sierra Designs 15 degree Thinsulate LiteLoft Bag
in a #3 Hydroseal stuff sack
Ridgerest 3/4
Nylon pack cover
Baseball cap

Asolo 535 Boots (the old model, wonderful boots)
2 pr liner socks
2 pr wool socks
expedition weight long underwear
200 weight polartec sweat pants
300 weight polartec jacket
rubber coated nylon rainsuit (sure wish I had some Frogtoggs)
lt wt balaclava
fingerless gloves
200 weight polartec mittens
Coolmax thermal top
cotton t-shirt
swimsuit
long sleve polypro shirt
all this in a #5 Hydroseal stuff sack

Trangia Westwind stove
16 oz widemouth nalgene bottle for fuel
12 oz denatured alcohol
1 liter stainless cookpot w/lid (No cup -- will use lid)
stainless spoon
aluminum pot grabber
2 1 liter bottles
2 liter platypus w/tube
PUR Hiker filter
Polarpure water treatment

Photon microlight / whistle / penknife w/scissors on a lanyard
extra pair of eyeglasses w/case
3 or 4 little boxes of matches stashed in various zip lock baggies
1 stick firestarter, broken into two 2 1/2 inch sections stored separately
3 or 4 extra zip lock baggies
toothbrush
toilet paper
tiny first aid kit (w/moleskin)
50' parachute cord
compass
plastic cathole trowel
duct tape (wrapped around hiking poles)
small packtowl
This w/food in a #3 Hydroseal stuff sack
Olympus Stylus Zoom w/ about 100 frames of film

Map of N. Ga. Wildlife Management areas
photocopies of the first 9 hikes along the AT (Exploring the AT by Doris Gove)
Maybe a paperback book

Comments and criticisms solicited.

Joel Shiver
Rivertripper