Re: [at-l] padding

I've discovered somthing interesting about pads over the last year: comfort is
very much what you are used to.  Due to an unfortunate family situation I've
been sleeping in a spare room for quite some time.  For at least the last six
months I've been sleeping on a 3/4 length Ridge Rest (actually Ridge Rest +
braided rug + hardwood floor).

The interesting thing is that when I tried sleeping on a Ridge Rest in the
past I always found that my arm went to sleep unless I slept flat on my back.
Now, both at home and on the trail, I find that I can sleep comfortably in any
position.  Since my weight is about the same (right around 200 pounds) I
assume that my body has adapted to sleeping on a firmer surface.

Anyway, I'd speculate that people who spend most nights in soft beds will
prefer thermarests... they do a much better job of simulating a bed.  If you
want the light weight of a foam pad, you might try sleeping on the floor for a
while to try and get used to it!

Also, the recent post about the different R-values of the pads is right on the
money.  The R-values used to be posted at http://www.cascadedesigns.com as
well, but they don't seem to be there anymore.  Anyway, the numbers are:

... CampLite 2.8-3.7
... GuideLite 2.7-3.5
... LE 3.2-3.7
... Standard 3.0-4.6
... Ultralight 1.7-2.6
... RidgeRest 2.6
... Deluxe 3
... Z-Rest 2.2

For the inflatable pads the second number is the R-value when the pad has been
firmed up by blowing into it.  The first number is when "self inflated."

Many winter campers take two mattresses... a full length foam pad and a 3/4
length standard thermarest.  This has several advantages:

(1) you get the most insulation where you need it the most.
(2) if your thermarest starts leaking you still have the foam pad and are less
likely to freeze to death.

My experienced winter camping friends assure me that the "standard" thermarest
is the best inflatable pad for really cold conditions because:

(1) it has the most insulation (see the chart)

(2) because it uses solid foam it doesn't need to have as much air blown into
it to firm it up.  In really cold weather you want to avoid blowing into the
pad as much as possible, since the moisture from your breath builds up over
time and causes problems.

Finally, I've noticed (and read) that sleeping on duff or pine needles is a
LOT warmer than sleeping on compacted dirt.  Pushing together some dry leaves
can help a lot too.

-- Jim