[at-l] Re:Professor Sloetoe?????VERY LONG

Anywhoness, I think we need to hear more from John/Bethany, like
             1) where are they now?

     We live eat and breathe and work Monday thru Friday in Dayton, Ohio Weekends are reserved for fun any where outdoors depending on time  of year and weather conditions.

            2) how'd they hear about the at-l?

I probably could of found ya all earlier after speaking with PGH  at Trailfest this year but I was busy fishing. The RUCK info was  posted on another list and I checked it out and saw alot of familiar names and such.

             3) how'd they (each) first hear about the AT?

Looking for places to camp by state, surfing the net.
            4) where was the first time they stepped foot on the AT?

Car camping in the Smokies. Researching maps in the area. My first step was on or around Newfound Gap. Very overgrown section and didn't walk far. Next day we walked up to Charlie's Bunion (it was a fairy tale walk) There was about 5 of us and we spaced ourselves just far enough apart that some parts I felt I was alone in the woods. It felt peaceful, quiet and humbling, sort of surreal. I liked that. Nature has a way of making you remember to slow down and take a deep breathe.

            5) how much "have" they done so far? liked best? worst?

  I really don't know how much or how many miles I've walked the AT, but we have driven lots of miles to get there, lots of times and alot of the time only hung around two days and drove home!!! worth it all.

            6) Gear List!!!!!!

Tents: meteor light (spelling?) )John and I), clip flash lite (son). Eureka (just bigger). for?? longer trips and comfort, I guess
Stove: msr xgk
water thing: first need
sleeping bags: slumberjack (everest elite) me. Feathered friends him.
backpacks: dana terreplane him. glacier, me.
My thermarest always!!!!

            7)Do they drink Leinenkugels?

Is this german for lemonade?

            8) where on the AT will they end up in three years? why three years?

In three years our son will graduate  from high school. He can either live at college or stay in town and live with his mother for a change or go with us. He has lived with us since the age of two when I met him. Good kid, raised having the best of both worlds his Dad's and his Mom's.

            9) why "wouldn't they do the PCT or CDT instead of the boring ol AT?

I would love to explore all of them. I still haven't been north of VA on the AT. I have some catching up to do. But to go out west? You bet!!! Someday.
            10) was the primordial atom (all mass of universe in area <trillionth of an inch) charged or uncharged, in the instant before the Big Bang?

If I was an atom or were.............I would have been CHARGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was fun. Made me think a little to hard but I survived. John will be along later (hopefully this year sometime) to add his own comments. He is busy being a tech guy (NT Admin.). Somebody has to work!!!!

Beth