[at-l] Long Path (NY/NJ)

In a message dated 11/9/99 12:44:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
krk@home.msen.com writes:

<< Speaking of the Long Path how hard is it to find spots to stealth camp on
 it? For example, at the Fort Lee end there are no shelters or desinated
 campsites for the first 40 or so miles. You can stay at hotels in Nyack
 and one other place but they require you put in 20 mile days straight
 off. When reading the LP guide it sounded like, in many areas, that you
 are crossing fairly near private land (sometimes thorugh) and pitching a
 tent under those conditions would be problematic at best. >>

    For some reason, a decision was made by the Long Path Committee of the
NY-NJ Trail Conference that the Long Path would be primarily a trail for
day-hiking, and that no overnight campsites would be provided (except where
such facilities already exist).  I don't agree with the philosophy of this
decision, although there are quite a number of areas where the trail goes
through or right along private property, and it would be difficult to find
appropriate areas to establish a campsite.  One active member of our Long
Path Committee, Ed Walsh, has prepared a backpacker's guide to the Long Path,
a copy of which, I'm sure, he would be glad to furnish to anyone interesting
in doing a thru-hike of this trail.

        Daniel Chazin
        Teaneck, NJ