Re: [at-l] Misc Notes (Admin)

In a message dated 11/8/99 7:27:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bullard@northnet.org writes:

<< When done it may. It is supposed to go around the bottom of Lake Erie. The
 'Long Path' in NY connects with the AT, I believe (someone correct me if
 I'm wrong) and there's an East-West trail that could carry you to where the
 NC Trail goes South around the Lake. It would be great if all these hooked
 up into a nationwide network so you could get anywhere in the country on
foot.

You want a hiking experience?  Dudes.  Listen up here.  We are going
international!

The North Country Trail enters into NY State from PA and is the same as two
other trails for the first few miles or so.  One of these other trail, the
Finger Lakes Trail, runs east - west until it hits the Long Path in the
Catskills in the area of Denning Leanto.  The Long Path goes North - SOuth
and right now the south end goes all the way to the Bear Mt Bridge, which is
the bridge to take over the Hudson River to go to Yankee Stadium.  Anyway, as
the Long Path is heading toward Yankee Stadium it intersects with the
Appalachian Trail in Harriman State Park.  When completed, as the Long Path
heads north (away from Yankee Stadium), it goes through the Catskills and
ultimately, when completed, will hook up with the Northville - Lake Placid
Trail that is basically a 112 mile or so lowland trail in the ADKs.

The other trail that the North Country Trail enters NY State on is the
Conservation Trail.  After a short distance the Conservation Trail breaks off
from the other two and heads North - South along the western end of New York
State.  The northern end of the Conservation Trail goes over one of the
bridges into Canada.

In Canada, another trail, The Bruce Trail, picks up where the Conservation
Trail ends and goes for hundreds of miles up into Canada.

So there!

:)