Re: [at-l] Ridgerest vs Thermarest--

"Leslie Booher" <lwbooher@evansville.net> wrote:

> With a 3/4 length sleeping pad of either variety, why don't you put your
> feet on the mat and your head on something like your clothes stuff sack?
>  It makes much more sense to me, but it seems that the people who use
> the 3/4 pads almost always let their feet hang off.  That's why I always
> take a full-length Ridgerest: I couldn't decide which way to use the
> 3/4.  Leslie

Ouch!

I carried the 3/4 Thermarest Ultra, and loved it. The padding was for my
shoulders and hips more than anything else. The pad was slightly heavier
than some, but it worked very well for me the entire trip.

My feet were padded by my stuff-sack with "stuff" in it, and I used my
fleece for a pillow - which I carried the entire trip.

I could probably have slept on a ridgerest or other less padded pad
after I lost 60 pounds, but I never would have slept in GA, NC, TN or VA
without the extra support!

-Paddler