Re: [at-l] Ridgerest vs. Thermarest

OK, I guess I'll toss my opinion in.

I have both an old classic full length HEAVY (at least 2 pounds)
therm-a-rest and the 3/4 length Ultralight (15oz., right?). While the
former certainly is more comfortable and would be my choice (of the two)
if I were to sleep ooutside of a tent on real cold ground (not likely).
The latter works great for me most times. I'm about 5'5" and the 3/4
length ends at around my knees. I'm also heavy (more than I should be...)
but don't seem to bottom out the pad. As to rolling off the pads that
isn't a problem for me especially if I'm using my bag like a quilt. Body
contact with the pad creates a lot of friction. My problem is more likely
to be the pad moving across my tent floor during the night. I need to add
another anti-skid line to the tent floor and that'll solve that problem.

I've lain briefly on th egg-shell (z-rest) pads and though I could grow
to like them I imagine (I can sleep in most conditions pretty easily)
they aren't as comfortable straight off as the therm-a-rest.

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **