Re: [at-l] Good reads

>I read it. I didn't love it. The protagonist drives himself insane
obsessing over the meaning of the word 'quality', then gets sort of
stable through drugs and therapy. He finally gets his head straight
again on
a cross country motorcycle trip. Catchy title but, like many titles, it
really had nothing to do with the story.<

You missed the story. The issue of quality and confidence had to do with
whether or not one understood and could maintain his bike (protagonist),
or
felt compelled to have it maintained and pampered by a factory trained
mechanic (his friend the BMW rider). Whether the Zen of the trip was the
same for the guy who tinkered to keep his ride alive, or simply shelled
out
some cash when a mysterious boo-boo occured. The way the book was
written
tended to make the message a guy thing.

Its part of why my favorite read is "How to Keep Your VW Alive, for the
Complete Idiot." Somehow understanding the ass that bears me keeps the
trip
interesting and a delight. This is similar to how I view my hikes and
gear.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA

****NOTE****I'm at home on my wife's machine, hence can't use the
IBM.NET
outgoing server. Reply to me at THORNEL@IBM.NET or here. If this is a
response to a LISTSERV, feel free to forward it on.