Re: [at-l] GEAR question (!!!!)

At 08:48 PM 11/3/99 -0500, Jennifer Delia Sawyer wrote:
>The Bug who is Orange sayeth:
>
>>I don't think you will notice any difference between the Ridgerest and the
>>Thermarest. It surprised the heck out of me, especially as the Ridgerest is
>>cheaper and lighter
>
>Really?  Anybody else have any thoughts on this?  I was just looking
>through the Campor catalog, inconspicuoulsy circling (in red marker, or
>course) all the things I'd like for Christmas, and an upgrade in this
>department is defnitely in order.  I'm currently using the cheap-o blue
>styrofoam roll-up pad, so anything will be an improvement!

I used one of those blue foam things for several years. It had two layers,
open cell egg crate foam bonded to closed cell darker blue foam. It was a
very, very tiny improvement over no pad at all. I bought a 3/4 Thermarest
when someone on this list  mentioned that Campmore was having a sale on
them. I'm in Heaven. It's not my waterbed but sleeping out is fun now. I
can't speak to the Ridgerest part but if there's an outfitter near you go
and try them both out. At the EMS stores I've visited they encourage you to
put onr downon the floor and lie down on it. Try both and decide for your
self which is more comfortable.

Saunterer
P.S. Whoever posted the message about the Thermarest sale, Thank You!