[at-l] Re: Trangias and Tuna Cans

OK, I'll comment on Jim's comments.

Jim Mayer <JamesLMayer@netscape.net> wrote:
[clip]
> The Trangia:
>
> The Westwind is quite a bit heavier than the home made stove and, in my
> experience, is slower and less convenient.  That's not to say that it is a bad
> stove... it is a good one, I just like the little home made job better.

I'm interested in this one since I've field tested my stove in time
comparisons with dozens of (well, three) home made stoves. In all cases
my Trangia worked faster and used less fuel.

> The Trangia has a cap with an O-ring that, in theory, allows you to store a
> bit of fuel in the burner.  In my experience it tended to leak.  My personal
> recommendation is to measure the fuel and let the stove burn out.

The o-ring dries out - alcohol does that - and needs to be wetted
slightly to keep it from leaking. I do this by screwing the top on the
stove (wait till it cools so you don't melt the o-ring) and inverting
the stove to wet the o-ring. Loosen, then tighten the top. No leaks.
Worked great for 6 months.

> Both Stoves:
>
> You need a windscreen.

I melted my aluminum pot by using a windscreen on my trangia. Be
careful, with this one. I don't know that I would be able to melt my
titanium pot, but I dumped the windscreen.

> You can burn any sort of alcohol (denatured, ethanol, rubbing alcohol), but
> please don't try to burn hydrocarbon fuels in an open burner.  Especially,
> never try to light up gasoline.

The type of alcohol actually affects the heat output fairly
dramatically. Methol is available in gas-line antifreeze (read he label)
and worked the most consistently for me. 70% rubbing alcohol didn't work
worth a damn, burned dirty and cool.

> The alcohol stoves are very convenient.  I find them much less bother than the
> Whisperlight I used to carry.  Although they don't put out the same heat, they
> don't need priming either.  I suspect that the "get ready -> eat" time is
> about the same with both stoves.  And, of course, if you are rehydrating
> veggies the faster boiling time won't do you any good anyway.

I did all my rehydrating in a 16oz Nalgene before cooking. This meant no
simmer time needed - cover the food with water, bring to a boil, take
off the stove, "simmer' under the pot cozy...eat.

Your mileage may vary.

-Paddler