RE: [at-l] The latest Wingfoor rants

At first I was planning on letting this particular thread run it course.
Many of the things that I was to say has been voiced by others. But since I
was one of the original - if non anonymous - individuals who posted a
cryptic a comment about WF have a few additional points to make, I wade
right on in.
However, before I do so. I'd to point out who I am, so that anyone not
familiar with me will have some idea where I'm coming from. To some extent I
understand and empathize with WF and his frustrations.  As some of you are
aware, I designed and maintain the ALDHA-West website for Long Distance
Hikers. In the last year I've also taken on the responsibly of designing,
implementing and maintaining the Pacific Crest Trail Associations website
(the equivalent of the ATC for the PCT).
As a result I'm well aware of the hours one needs to commit to bring off a
large website successfully. I also understand the feelings of pouring out
hundred's of hours of work into something and in the end having little real
idea if it's even wanted, let alone appreciated. I don't say this because
I'm looking for any smacks on the back. Hell those sites are, for the most
part, of little interest to this group. I only say this so you'll know where
I'm coming from. So whether you agree with my comments or not, I believe
I've earned the right to make them.
Several years ago when WF was first putting together Trailplace, we had lots
of discussions about it the web, and some of the sites I was working on. I
knew at the time he was beginning to spend too much time on it and was
beginning to loose perspective. Putting in 18 to 20 hours a day, that's easy
to do. So a year ago when he first suggested that he might do another
thru-hike in '99, I said to Dan "Great, You'll get out and away from that
damn computer for awhile. You might even consider tackling a different
trail. Give you a chance to broaden your perspectives a bit."
Unfortunately the call of the computer was greater than the call of the
trail. Since then, he's poured even more of himself into the site. To the
exclusion of everything else, including the handbook. Now days the site is
him and he's the site. So any discussions about Trailplace, no matter how
objective, are taken personally.
Now, some have suggested that since Trailplace is a private site, Dan has a
right to due and say what he wants. It is after all his nickel - so to
speak. If life was only that simple I'd agree.
But life is not that simple. For better or worse Dan is a public figure. As
such, he uses his notoriety, Trailplace and The Center to speak to the press
as a representative of the Thru-hiking community. As if he speaks for us
with a united voice.
Well he doesn't speak for me and I would imagine a great many others share
my feelings. I seriously doubt the thru-hiking community needs a spokesman.
As to whether Trailplace, The Handbook, this list or - heaven forbid - the
sites I'm associated with are needed for a successful thru-hike on the AT or
any other trail. The obvious answer is no. I would certainly like to think
that my hours of toil have noble purpose. To help guide and train young
minds done the right path.
Truth is, while these sites and this list do provide some marginal benefit
for the thru-hiker, their biggest benefit is in building a community of like
minded individuals drawn together in a common good. This is done in part via
dissemination of information but more in providing a nurturing vessel that
allows humor and a sense of commonality to draw us together.
My biggest regret is that Trailplace has so lost its perspective that it's
lost its sense of humor. Without it, ultimately it'll loose its sense of
community.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak