Re: [at-l] The latest Wingfoor rants

Subject: [at-l] The latest Wingfoor rants
Author:  "Jack Tarlin" <baltjack@hotmail.com> at ima
Date:    11/3/99 2:11 PM

           The most recent spate of anti-Wingfoot whines is getting a bit
ridiculous, folks, and it does this list no credit---just the
opposite.
     <major snippage of long and over done rant about others' rants>

     ****To which That Toe responds, with uncharacteristic succinctity,[*]
     "What a crock, Jack."

     <snippage of various verbage, with interjections interjected as only
     such interjections can be interjected.>

Dan's iron-handedness
How he runs his site --HIS site
     ****As long as Mr. Bruce holds his site out as an informational
     "public accomodation" -- even if not for hire or direct compensation
     -- people will hold him to standards of "public" resources. Thus, his
     "ironhandedness" does not fare well. There's a simple message to Dan
     by his "public," being that they don't care for it. It's an entirely
     legitimate reaction to Mr. Bruce's actions. Don't shoot the messenger.

Trailplace, it's an extraordinarily valuable resoursce,
     ****Bzzzzzt! Wrong. Please try again.
     The AT, the ATC, the Throughhiker's Guide, for that matter, the ALDHA
     pub., etc,; and now, internet sites detailing the AT (Thanks, Kathy
     B!) have all existed before Trailplace, and will exist when Trailplace
     disappears. Trailplace valuable? Yes. Extraordinarily? Nah.
     Irreplaceable? Hardly. Get a grip.

The fact that some folks have a problem with how the site is run IS NOT
RELEVANT.
     ****"Not relevant" to whom? To the people at the receiving end of Mr.
     Bruce's sociopathic behavior? To people looking to gather information
     on the Appalachian Trail to fulfill a dream, but who have to passively
     suffer through the Trailplace environment (the internet's version of a
     reference librarian with halotosis)? Or simply to people interested in
     Trail institutions (as Trailplace arguably is) and their continued
     health? The problems people have with Trailplace are entirely
     relevant. If it's not relevant to YOU, Jack, hit <delete>. I do.

just as hundreds of thru-hikers (maybe thousands) have derived incredible
benefit from Dan's Handbook over the years,
     ****Myyyyy Gawwwwwwd, HOW did people EVER hike the AT without
     "Wingfoot's Book"? Except it wasn't his. He improved on a volunteer
     production by another fellow who formalized the concept found in the
     original Philosopher's Guide WHICH! (you didn't think I'd go through
     this without at least ONE run-on sentence, did you? Seriously?) WHICH!
     was all of two mimeographed pages when I throughhiked in '79. Hey!
     Fallingwater! Mrs. Gorp! What about Al (trailname ....oops) who hiked
     in '72? How'd you make out, without out dear ol' Wingfoot's Book? Was
     there ANYTHING important that you missed, or did you know about it
     HUNDRED'S of miles in advance? Jack, do you think anyone quit their
     throughhike attempt this year because ol' Wingnut failed to produce
     the '99 Guide on time? (You don't have to answer that one, but it
     would be good to think about before placing Bruce/Trailplace/Guide on
     too high a pedestal. Note it for the future.)

yet they lose no opportunity to villify  and slam its author now that their
trip is done.
     Pretty shabby behavior, if you ask me.
     *****Eh, time is short. See the "entirely relevant" rot above.

This mailing list, is known in thru-hiker circles as "the other mailing
list"
     *****That's funny, Jack, 'cause that's how we refer to Wingnut's
     thing. Not that we care one way or another. Where you been, Jack?

 the "anti-Trailplace" list
to bitch about Wingfoot.
 Is this the identity you want for this list?
     ****Mistaken images happen, Jack. All the time. You can waste all your
     energies trying to put out the fires, or you can have a good time on
     the list, trading jokes, information, debating nuances, and the
     occasional crisis. Much more productive than pondering what to do
     about people who may or may not have a correct image of ANYTHING. CLUE
     TO JACK: This list will not rise or fall because of anything to do
     with Trailplace. It exists out of kindness and attentions of its
     administrators, subscribors come and go, and no one rejoices or sheds
     a tear.

anonymous Wingfoot bashing?
     ****Anonymous? Please. But note too that a lot of those "bashes" come
     from people whose right to express an opinion was foreclosed by Mr.
     Bruce on the atml, and usually in some entirely mean-spirited way.
     Bruce-bashing is not a fashion, Jacko, but a reaction. Breath deep,
     take a look.

 Is that the best thing this list has to offer?
     ****Jack, you been on this list much? That's not exactly a question
     posed by someone who has been.

perpetual Wingfoot bashing is getting a little tiresome.
     **** Bzzzzzt! Wrong again, Danno. See above.

cuz most of you probably have useful things to contribute to the site,
especially as regards information for prospective hikers.
     ****Again, Jack, we communicate away, to our heart's content, WITHOUT
     "ironhand" Dan, and thus without the pervading avarice, riiiiiiight
     here.

 But this continual anti-Dan whine, bitch, and rant has got to stop
petulant brats,
     provides ammunition to those who mistakenly think that that's the
     primary purpose of this site.

     ****Yeah yeah yeah.
     You're wrong, Jack.
     About just about everything you through out there.

                                                   Jack Tarlin
                                                 (Baltimore Jack)
                                                 AT 95-96;97;98;99)
     OK, so maybe not so succinct.
     Sloetoe
     (who's going to have 12 hungry maintainers
     in his house in 30 minutes, and I've got to
     go home, do dishes, and put out some food which
     I don't yet have. Too much time spent on this
     little bitch/response. Can't believe I did it,
     but I know I'll love it in the morning.)

[*]look that up in your Funk&Wagnall's!