[at-l] words fitly spoken

December 2, 1912          ........"When you think of me, you must think
of me as one who is truly happy. It is true, I want a great many things I
haven't  got, but I don't want them enough to be discontented and not
enjoy the many blessings that are mine. I have my home among the blue
mountains, my healthy, well-formed children, my clean, honest husband, my
kind, gentle milk cows, my garden which I make myself. I have loads and
loads of flowers which I tend myself. There are lots of chickens,
turkeys, and pigs which are my own special care. I have some slow old
gentle horses and an old wagon, I can load up the kiddies and go where I
please any time. I have the best, kindest neighbors and I have my dear
absent friends. Do you wonder I am so happy?".........    Elinore Stewart
in a letter to a friend.

I'm taking a vacation day today. I'm home listening to the wind and rain
and watching the dark sky. It seems that every visage of life turns my
mind to the Trail or at least some trail. My hope is that those whose
feet are still pointed towards Springer or Katahdin, though cold and rain
soaked, buffeted by breeze and gust, will at their next rest realize the
contentment I feel now.

I've been reading Letters Of A Woman Homesteader, by Elinore Stewart. She
wrote about her life in Wyoming around 1910. I once mentioned to Vcat
that most of what I have read was written by men, but I have been greatly
impressed by the few women authors I've found. Vcat loaned me this book
and I've very glad for it is wonderful reading. It is a paper bound
volume well suited to backpacking.  Hopeful