[at-l] Re: stoves and the AT in Rhody...

Since I am now in digest mode, this post is going to be a two-fer (as in
two messages for one post). Ain't you all lucky?!??!!? :-P

  Ok..looking for a lightweight stove that is easy to make, fuel is
plentiful and cheap? Look no further than an alcohol stove!  I have seen
two homemade jobbies: a beer can one, and a tuna can one. Never used the
beer can one, but the tuna can one works great!  Weighs in at 3 oz,
boils two cups of water in 5 minutes, is quiet.   Normally use denatured
alcohol, but can also use other liquids (will not burn as clean,
however).
    I used the stove on the LT this past year (270 miles, 20 days)  and
have regulated my Whisperlite for winter use. I have also used this
little stove that could at approx 11K feet and with 35F or so temps here
in Colorado.  The Esbit stove looks promsing, but the cost and
availability of the fuel scare me.  And I like the fact that my stove is
homemade! :-)

   Now.....the AT in Rhode Island??!?!?! Egads..there's a scary thought.
Elevation gains of..oh 200 ft, scenic views of up to a mile,  and you
have to deal with Rhode Islanders! :-)

 Actually, the previously mentioned North South Trail in the western part
 of Rhody is 80 miles, hooks up to the Midstate trail in Mass. which
hooks up to the M&M trail in New Hampshire, so you can hike from the
Atlantic Ocean to Mt. Monadnock. Not a bad litte hike. The NST itself is
suprisingly isolated, (hiked through the RI woods several times and not
see a soul!)   is rugged in spots {lots of rocks and roots like most of
New England), and goes by such things as old one room school houses and
farms. Would make a nice 4 or 5 day hike in late October..   The NST
council has a website at:

http://users.cyberzone.net/~ekent/nstrail/nstrail1.htm

  If I am going to remember anything about Rhody, it is going to be the
woods! :)