Re: [at-l] Esbit Wind Screen

>>I've been using a Whisperlite for years, and just recently bought an Esbit
>>after attending an ultralite backpacking demo.  The one aspect of the Esbit
>>that the guy neglected to mention was the high cost of the solid fuel
>>tablets.
>
>Bummer ain't it?  Someone once posted how much per ounce it cost
>him to reduce his pack weight.  Scarey....but....if you figure you are
>carrying the extra lb+ for 2000+ miles, it doesn't seem so much to me.

I'm been discovering this with alarm as well.

>>I've been looking around, and bought some round hexamine tabs at the
Army-Navy
>>store, and also a couple packs of Trioxane,
>
>This is strictly a knee jerk eco reaction, but I understand the triox is
>much more
>toxic substance.  Not supposed to get the residue on you hand even, IMMSM.
>I could be wrong here....anyone have a pack handy?

Yes, I understand it's quite toxic. Not really something I am happy about
carrying into the backcountry.  :o(

>>in attempt to get a cheaper fuel
>>source,
>
>What did you pay for the hexamine at the Army-Navy if I may ask?
>Paddy did you ever try and do a deal with these folks for the fuel tabs?

Tube of 6 for 2 bucks = 0.33 apiece. But they're smaller than the Esbit cubes
too, so...

Will try them out this coming weekend (5 days on AT around Damascus, VA)