[at-l] AT; The First Fifty Miles

Hydee,

I am planning on hiking the first 50 miles of the AT beginning November 13.
I'll have until November 21.  I want the extra time because I'm going to have
to go relatively slowly. . . .
1) I am many pounds overweight,
2) I expect my pack will weigh about 50 pounds
    a] Kelty Super Tioga, the only one I could find with a hip belt to fit me
and at a decent price from CampMor ($120.), weighs about 6 1/2 pounds,
    b] have a bunch of gear for canoe tripping which wasn't purchased with
the notion of having to tote it everywhere,
    c] can't afford a whole bunch of new stuff now, and
    d] comfort is a priority -- I will carry much warm clothing as I
understand the temps can get pretty low up there this time of year.),
3) I have never in my life backpacked anywhere (although I have many friends
who have and I have been reading this list for a few months, (I am a canoe
tripper) nor have I ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express)  I have great
admiration for the hard-cores on this list and have learned a helluva lot.
4) I expect to have to rest often,
5) if it goes well and I'm able to make decent time, I want to explore side
trails.

I live in Madison, GA and work in Athens, GA.  My plans are to have my son
dirve me to Springer via USFS #42 first thing Saturday morning, November 13,
drop me off (maybe walk with me to the trailhead), then leave my truck at
Unicoi Gap on the 21st .

I just want to walk, eat, sleep, look, lose a few pounds and get in better
shape.

My concern is water.  Is there someplace which tells me where to find water
along this section of trail at this dry time of year?  I expect this has been
stated on at-l a time or two, but I can't find it.

Thanks for the help.

       ()
       /\
      /  \