[at-l] New Year's

On New Year's Eve we'll be doing what we've done the last several years, group camping in the Ocala National Forest.  The Central Florida Chapter of the FT Association rents the lodge at Doe Lake.  Although the lodge (really just a kind of big dining hall) has no heat, there is a fireplace. (yes, children, even though it's Florida we usually have night temperatures in the low 40's or even 30's over New Year's).  There's a luxurious new bath house with hot showers.  Everyone either tents or sets up their trailers near the lodge, which is on a beautiful small lake.

On New Year's night we have a big pot luck supper.  There's usually a short program on someone's hiking adventures complete with slides.  Those who are interested set up board games or jigsaw puzzles in the lodge.  Then it's outside to a big campfire for some serious lie telling.  At midnight we lower a big red boat cushion from a tree (closest thing we can find to New York's big apple), then retreat back into the lodge for a serving of black-eyed peas and cornbread (good luck in the South).

The next day we have a choice of activities--hiking, canoeing the Silver River, or biking on the dirt roads or designated bike trail.  That evening someone goes out to get bar-b-que sandwiches and we heat up the pot luck leftovers.  The event usually turns into about three days of day hikes, fishing, biking, evening slide shows, bocchi ball touraments, informal classes on orienteering, and canoeing.  The third evening we make a "stone soup"--everyone brings something to throw in the pot.

I'm not sure if you have to be an FT member to attend, but if anyone's interested write me off list, and I'll find out the details and let you know.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com