[at-l] Punchbowl to Waynesboro - Day 5

Day 5 10/20/99 Wednesday

I awoke first, rain falling fast and hard. Oatmeal down, cocoa quaffed, and
privy is primed. As my shelter mates arise, they assure me the schedule
isn't screwed, that the Blue Blaze is cool, but Three Ridges and Hanging
Rock are cooler. The rain starts to slow as I leave in dryer and warmer
clothes.

Mau Har rocks! There is a climb of about 1000 feet over 3-4 miles. An early
ridge takes you up and back down to 2000 feet, down to the falls. They are
spectacular, with a few good campsites along the way and at the falls. It
is primarily downhill for Southbound Blue blazers.

The climb up to Maupin Field Shelter is wet and rocky, but the rain has
quit. Before I knew it, it was noon and I was dry and warm in the shelter.

A quick shelter note, a cup of soup warmed and downed, clothing wrung out
and  rearranged, and I'm off for the straight-a-way!

I passed a group of 15-20 adolescents sitting on the butts eating, no
further than a mile from the shelter, beginning their adventure. Life is
interesting, especially if you are young and dry. I gently tease them as
they part and allow me to pass, the quicker to avoid losing their appetites.

At Reed's Gap and three Ridges overlook, I briefly considered hitching a
ride. It is foggy. I decide no to tempt the Priest's fury further.

The trail parallels the Parkway and lies in scattered boulder fields. The
Book suggests caution in wet weather. Caution is too weak a word. Throught
the Grace of God and Leki's poles, I traversed this terrain with few falls,
many scares, and no scenery in the fog. No water problems are encountered.

I met an older Southbounder (my age) who appeared spooked and confused to
see me. He reported good camping at Cedar Cliffs, and two hikers following
him from Dripping Rock parking area. He was right about the camping. The
others either hitched a ride or took a plunge off the cliffs.

Cedar Cliffs was in a fog - like the rest of Virginia. I had to search for
a place with dirt deep enough to hold my tent pegs. I put a tarp over my
back pack and tried to see if those heating pads would help dry clothing.
The experiment failed.

I ate one of the 2 freeze died meals I have. The chicken and rice was good
and not too much to eat. I was very surprised after my first tasteless Beef
Stroganoff garbage meal.

I also found a signal for the cell phone, and informed wife, friends and
family that I yet lived and was on schedule. Happy Birthday songs were left
on answering machines. I slept with the promise that the weather would
clear up. I had made a little over 10 miles today, and could see Waynesboro.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA