[at-l] Punchbowl to Waynesboro - Day 2

Day 2 10/17/99 Sunday

I awoke early to the call of nature, and began the walk. Chuckwagon sped
ahead, with a lighter day load - on the US 60 and the Long Mountain Wayside.

This climb began the Clib from Hell. Two miles and 1000 feet up gets you
just to the Wayside. Another 2.5 miles and 2000 feet to Bald Knob complete
the task.

Bald Knob is a cursed mountain. The are several false peaks, and no view. A
few rocks entertained Ben with their "problems", but their climbing legs
ran quicker than mine. They lunched in Cow Camp Gap Shelter while I walked
on toward Cold Mountain.

Wondering about finding water on Bald Knob? Fergedaboudit! I had pumped 4
liters down at Brown Mountain Creek, and this seemed about right for the
morning and early afternoon.

The weather provided even more entertainment. Clouds and mists gathered
about Bald Knob. By the time I got on Cold Mountain, it became a beautiful
meadow enshrouded by cloud. Nothing could be seen beyond a half mile, and
even that was hazy. I spyed a figure a half mile away walking toward me. A
quarter mile away, olfactory evidence proved that he was my first through
SouthBounder - CCR. He was young, healthy and keen to keep a schedule of
Springer by 12/10. A few others followed as well as a few weekend hikers.

Clouds became mist and rain on occasion. but no water would spring from the
ground. I decided to explore near Hog Camp Gap but could not find the
spring promised to the West about 1/2 mile. Ben and Roger caught up and
encouraged me to make the Hog Camp my motel for the night. They found a
creek east of the saddle between Cole Mountain and Tar Jacket Ridge. The
road was littered with Pepsi cups, which helped restart the embers still
smoldering in the fire ring.

We pumped our fill of water and set a fire. As we cooked and surveyed our
location, Ben found a bear bag left in a tree filled with chocolate, Graham
crackers, and marshmallows - S'mores! We waited to see if the owners would
return, but suspected they had also left the smoldering embers. Aa good
dinner and grand dessert led us into an evening promising to be
interesting. Wind was picking up, and the mist or rain were continuous. We
suspected a heavy rain and wind from the east would indicate Hurrican Irene
would visit. I set my Nomad to face the South and west, toward Cold
Mountain and not directly into the wind from the west. I set a tarp to dry
my wet Coolmax shirt and other clothes. I settled down for the night, tired
as a wet puppy.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA