[at-l] backpacker magazine...

backpacker magazine emailed me with questions about HATT2000.  i sent them a
reply ( below ).  the reply was focused more on the AT-L and the RUCK, than
on HATT2000.  i thought that this was appropriate.  the magazine may wish to
do an article on AT-L, the RUCK, or HATT2000.  pros, cons, thoughts?

pittsburgh

******************************

reply to backpacker magazine -

i belong to the AT-L Appalachian Trail email list ( listserve -
http://backcountry.net ).  this list has been around for 3 or 4 years, and
the "listers" are fairly chummy.  the listers range from former thru-hikers,
to pure novice "wannabes", and the AT-L list exists for information
dissemination among these trail enthusiasts.  in the past couple of years,
the listers have banded together in small and large groups for hikes and
gatherings.  our most noteable event is the yearly "RUCK" that is held at
the Ironmasters AYH Hostel in Pine Grove Furnace State Park PA, this year
the 29th and 30th of January 2000.  RUCK loosely is defined as "a gathering
of disreputable folks".  we can be a somewhat humorous group, poking fun at
ourselves at every opportunity...

anyway, i had this glimmer of an idea for a weekend group hike along the
Appalachian Trail that would encompass the entire trail.  i posted my intent
to the AT-L and received positive feedback.  so, HATT2000 was born, and we
started our own email list ( instructions on joining are on the website ).
right now we are filling slots and looking for a logo...