Re: [at-l] Skyblazing half a thru before lunch and Good Reads

In a message dated 10/23/99 5:10:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Solar bear
wrote:

>  It seems like our thruhikes sometimes are a search for smooth air
>  in our own turbulent lives, except we go higher!  :)

When asked why he would go on a 500 mile wilderness canoe adventure across
Canada,  Dr. Omond Solandt, who at the time was chairman of the Defense
Research Board of Canada,  replied, "I went along to iron out the wrinkles in
my soul."

And, speaking of wilderness adventures, Sigurd Olson can provide some good
reads.  The quote above is from his 1962 book, "The Lonely Land."

Plus, speaking of turbulent lives, wrinkled souls, wilderness adventures and
good reads, John Krakauer's "Into the Wild" comes to mind.

       ()
       /\
      /  \
     /    \