[at-l] Skyblazing half a thru before lunch

I flew from Orlando to Allentown, PA this morning.  Wanted to share a few
thoughts and observations:

Sunrise over Savannah at 37,000 feet

The flight took off in total darkness and we were just east of the coastline
at Savannah when the sun made its dramatic appearance through the windows on
the opposite side of this Boeing 757.  What was unique is that the sun on the
horizon was below us.  The pattern of the windows from the opposite side
shone above our westward facing windows.  In our usual lives sun rays usually
shine down.  I guess this is something one sees only in planes and on
mountains.  I enjoyed it.  Others, annoyed, called for the eastside
passengers to close the shutters.

Cloudy blue skies
The view is great
And way beyond it
Is Heaven's gate.

Smooth Air

A few minutes later after some turbulence above Charleston, the captain comes
on the loudspeaker and says "We found some unexpected turbulence up here,
folks.  We're gonna cruise lower and search for some smooth air."  At this
point I leaned over to the beautiful blonde in the seat next to me and said,
"Don't you wish life was like that?"  Actually it made me think of what we AT
hikers do.  It seems like our thruhikes sometimes are a search for smooth air
in our own turbulent lives, except we go higher!  :)

Wayne and the Rich Lady

At Philadelphia, I had to take a commuter plane to Allentown.  The passengers
had to take a bus from the gate to the plane.  The seats in the bus faced
sideways and I found myself facing two of the most interesting sights in
juxtaposition.  Directly across from me was Wayne.  I knew this because that
was what was embroidered on his spiffy blue jacket which he wore proudly.  He
did seem to puff his chest out a bit, but his gut made a much more awesome
statement.  Anyway on the jacket it said  "St Ann's Bowling Champions
1992-93."  Seated next to Wayne was a lady whom I wish had her first name
likewise embroidered on her ostentatious full length fur coat.  At least it
would have been the first friendly thing about her.  I shudder to think how
many animals went into making that monstrosity.  Have I mentioned the
diamonds yet?  One one hand a pear shaped ring over three-quarters of an inch
long.  I don't know carats, but it was a whopper.  On the other hand, a round
diamond about one-half inch in diameter.  The diamond earrings were about
three-eiths of an inch.  Both wrists sported diamond tennis bracelets.  The
wrist which also had the watch surrounded by diamonds was only about a halh
inch wide.  Ah but the other wrist had a tennis bracelet the likes I've never
even seen pictures of, over an inch wide festooned with hundreds of
glittering diamonds.  This lady, whose looks were sadly time ravaged, and who
attempted to compensate with pounds of makeup, was wearing enough jewelry and
makeup to adorn the next decade's worth of hiker babes!  Anyway, next to
Wayne, my hero, she came across looking quite pathetic.  Could be a nice
Halloween costume though!  :)

Gotta sign off now.  I'm on my way to a Bill Cosby concert!

BTW, the leaves in the Lehigh Valley were still nice.  Further north in PA,
they've begun to fade.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear