Re: [at-l] "The Place" in Damascus needs Help.

*******WildBill posted this from the Damascus site:

To Friends of "The Place"
<snippage>
Until now donations by the people who stay at "The Place" have been
sufficient to pay the operating expenses and for various maintenance
projects to the interior and exterior of the one hundred year old
structure. Now, the condition of the paint, siding, trim, etc. has
reached the point that, if the structure is to be maintained, permanent
repairs must be made. The installation of vinyl siding is the only
reasonable solution. To complete this project the cost has been
estimated at $10,000. Funds for a project of this size are not
available, and we are asking for donations from anyone who is capable
and wiling to contribute to the preservation of "The Place".

     I feel strongly that vinyl is NOT the proper choice, either for The
     Place or for Damascus.

     1) Architecturally (and Datto, feel free to step in here), vinyl is
     the ruination of any building's original lines. It pushes out the
     walls without similar emphasis on the windows or trim. I remember one
     operation (in giving me a $17000 estimate on my house) showed me
     before and after pictures of one of their "signature" homes -- the
     windows were reduced to dimples, and the structures looked fake and
     cheap -- and this from 100' away. I MUCH preferred the original. Vinyl
     belongs designed on, not added on.

     2) Vinyl does not keep its shape through its advertised "lifetime" --
     which is to say, some parts of it warp and expose the building
     envelope to water, insect, varmint incursion *long* before the
     majority is problematic. The result is hard to repair (in fitting and
     in color matching), and hard to (cost-justify) replace. Reasonable
     estimations rate vinyl siding lifecycles at 40 years.

     3) Thus, the $10,000/40 years amounts to about $250 per year, with NO
     present value impact of having the whole business having to be paid up
     front in year 1. This also assumes that NO OUTSIDE LABOR is utilized.
     (E.G., nobody from the Church, AND NOBODY FROM THE MASSES OF
     THROUGHHIKERS)

     4) A decent powerwashing/trim refitment/caulk/paint (using high
     silicone "30year" paint) should be doable for between $3,000 and
     $4,000, again NOT USING THROUGHHIKER LABOR). A good paint job --
     especially in that environment -- should go 20 years. (Yes, with the
     so-called 30year paint.)

     5) Thus, without present value considerations, a refit/paint job will
     go MUCH farther than the claimed "economies" of a vinyl job, and
     again, this is without any use of hiker labor. ANYBODY WANT TO GUESS
     just how many hikers passing through The Place in springtime have ever
     professionally slapped a paintbrush? With that consideration, you just
     took 80% of the cost of the paint job OUT.

     6) I would really like to contribute to the efforts of The Place, but
     in good conscience, I can't throw money at a vinyl job. My own house
     (at 109 years old) is about the same exterior size as The Place, and
     the estimates I received ranged from $13,000 to $22,000 for a vinyl
     job. I went -- five years ago -- with the refitment/paint job, and
     have never ONCE regretted it. A five color paint job, at that. 49
     window/door openings over two stories to be
     scraped/inspected/refitted/caulked. Makes me tired just to think about
     it. And the paint looks like new to this day.

     I feel strongly about this, folks. We -- none of us -- have so much
     money that we can afford to throw it away. But with hikers AND A
     CARING HIKER INSTITUTION involved, I feel a real need to speak up.

     Anybody got any *specific* suggestions? Phone numbers? Email
     addresses?

     Sloetoe
     (Proving once again that
     *real* economists make it work at home.)