From: tom edwards [mailto:hikehere@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 1999 11:50 AM
To: Atkinson, David Leigh, JR (FannyPack), BGM
Subject: Newly Reopened AT Blue Blaze

FannyPack,
Just an update for all interested 00ers.  There is a newly reopened blue
blaze that everyone should know about.  It's at about five days out from
Springer and takes off between Hogpen Gap and Unicoi Gap at a trailside
campsite called Red Clay Gap.  It's about a mile south of the Blue Mtn
Shelter.  The trail is currently marked with a sign that says Joel's
Trail which is at the back of the campsite.  The beginning of the trail is
rather steep and still relatively undeveloped (no traffic in years) but
after traversing down a pretty short enbankment on some developing
switchbacks, the trail is absolutely spectacular.  It follows Joel's Creek
1.4 miles to a campground/lodge called Enota.  Enota is gearing up to assist
AT Thru Hikers this next season.  Services available at Enota are
inexpensive bunks, laundry and shower facilities, telephone, breakfast and
shuttle assistance into Hiawassee or other trail crossings.  As you know in
the past, most people have elected to come off the trail at Dick's Creek Gap
and many stay at the Blueberry Patch.  With the predictions of the volumes
of hikers to start the trail next year, folks might want to plan ahead and
consider Enota as an alternative to the motels in Hiawassee.  Their prices
are very reasonable and the facilities are magnificent.  It is one of the
most beautiful places in our whole area.  They can be contacted by phone at
706.896.9966 for reservations.  Or we will be glad to help anyone wanting
some advice on how to manage the beginning of the trail.  We are worried
that there are going to be so many people that the shelters and campsites
won't hold them all.
Tom & Maggie.  Take A Hike Trail Shop.  195D Main Street, Hiawassee, GA.
706.896.9557.  hikehere@hotmail.com