[at-l] Pictures of Signs---

Sloetoe---

My outfitter told us before we ever went out the first time that you get out there in the situations that you describe and there's always some old man who says to his wife, "Look, Bertha, backpackers!"  And, thus it was so.  I named my trail journal Look, Bertha, Backpackers!  When we got to someplace in GA, whose name escapes me now, there was a trail marker like the one on Springer.  We were to wait there for our ride.  I quote from my journal.

"On the way out, we had our 'tourist experience'.  While we waited for Mom and Diana, we stood by a little rest area.  An older couple were there in a little pick-up.  The woman had her hair in rollers.  The man was outside the truck leaning on the door with a Coke.  'Where'd you start?'  'How long you been out?'  'What's your pack weigh?'  etc, etc.  It was the perfect touch to end the trip."

It's been the same every time.  There's always someone out there saying, "Look, Bertha, backpackers!"  They mean well, they like us, and the trip wouldn't be complete without them.  Once, just below Max Patch, an old pick-up with the requisite elderly couple pulled up to my brother and me and said very sadly, "I don't suppose you need anything, do you?"  They truly wanted to have a way to help us and to hear our stories.

I just love people.

Leslie