[at-l] the quest for new shoes

howdy
before i can do a thru hike next year i am going to need several new things
and i might as well start at the bottom.
i have been looking and reading around, and the idea of wearing some "non
hiking boots"
appeals to me.  i have for the last last decade or so worn army issue, some
have been good others anyway i know their limits with my feet after about 3
days
normally.  the main thing is heat and sweat. i sweat a lot. so i am
thinking about
sneakers or other hi top shoe. i have read that some people have made it in
running shoes
just trying to find some personal insight, i am going to get my pack weight
down
(ie lots of new toys) i just wonder how many pairs i would need going the
lighter route
thanks
gf
suffering from information overload