Re: [at-l] North-South Hike---

Leslie Booher wrote:

>  Dear Sebastian--- Nobody seems to have responded to you with the
> central fact that it gets warm in the south a long time before it gets
> warm enough to hike from Maine.  If you've read Felix's very excellent
> journal, you'll see that he didn't get to Springer until well after
> Christmas, and by then he was hiking in ice storms and hideous
> weather.  While he enjoyed it, more or less, I don't think that
> everybody would.

"More or less"? I loved every minute. Well, the 20 minutes I spent
looking for the privy in a snowstorm at Wesser Bald Shelter were loved a
little less than others. Especially when I found out that there isn't a
privy at the WBS. And, the 12 minutes it took me to put my boots on at 5
degrees at Woodshole Shelter weren't in the top 5 best experiences of my
life either. But, I still enjoyed them. And, the memory and story now.
And, isn't that why you're hiking in the first place? Start whenever you
want and go whichever way you want. But, do what it takes to enjoy each
minute for what it is. Taking into consideration, of course, that the
Kat don't open until May-June. (I enjoyed being in my 10 below bag when
it was 5 degrees.)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA 98