[at-l] Lucky me!

Lucky me! We got to go on a wonderful day hike through the Laurel Fork Gorge
Sunday. I was a little disappointed when I first learned we were only going
from Dennis Cove to the blue blaze and out to Hampton, but that turned out
well too.

Since it was only four miles, we moseyed and gawked and enjoyed everything
around us. There were beautiful gorge views and the bright colors of leaves.
The pleasure of walking along the creek. Views of cliffs. Talks with hikers.

We met a guy from Michigan doing what he called a little 500-mile section
hike from Mt. Rogers to Springer. He was having a great time. We also had a
long chat with a southbounder named Pac Man. He said that he has a journal on
TP, but it is not being kept up by his transcriber. He says he is still
hiking and keeping a journal, which he'll probably finish posting himself
when he gets done.

He looked in great shape and was obviously in great spirits. He was only
going to Kincora, so we all had plenty of time to talk. He was hoping to get
over the Roans so he could get the beautiful views before the expected rains
hit.

We also had time for a leisurely lunch at the water falls, with the
entertainment of a Cub Scout group. When they arrived, the leader said, "OK.
No throwing rocks and no playing in the water." Surely he knew that was a
futile gesture. How could they not? How could anybody not? So, by the time we
left, the boys were having a fantastic time throwing rocks in the water and
getting soaked. Hardier than I am though. That water was cold!

All in all, a great day. Don't know that I coulda stood it any better. The
kind of day that makes your heart sing.
Vcat