[at-l] Tangled up in Yellow

As in yellow blazing, or "How I Spent the Past Few Weeks" en route to and
from The Gathering. Working my way up and down the coast, enjoying fellowship
with lotsa folks. You know who you are. Thanks a million.

I think I crossed the AT over a dozen times, sometimes on purpose, sometimes
by chance of the roadway. Springer-- so awesome, so wish I had more time to
spend on the trail this trip. Roan Mtn-- I had to stop short coming over the
crest, as below the suffocating dark clouds the panorama opened up of
Tennessee, and the sun peeped out at just the perfect moment, an awesome
sight.

Sat in the misty rain in Crampton Gap, waiting for the light to be "just so"
to get a spooky photo of the War Correspondent's Memorial-- and of the stone
arch behind Gath's empty tomb. Endured a bone-rattling thunderstorm at Pine
Grove Furnace that closed down the battlefield at Gettysburg the next morn--
too many fallen limbs. (I found a gentle irony in it, and it changed my story
plans).

Drove to Maine, trying to get to the trail above Bethel and failing when my
car decided to have problems. Discovered a trail angel of a different kind--a
mineral collecting master mechanic. Settled for crossing the trail at Gorham,
NH and onward driving through the Whites. My first time to see these
mountains. I swear I stopped every mile and just stared. Awesome.

Thence Hanover. After pushing through a mixup of "where the hell are people
tenting anyway?" the first eve, it was great to meet such wild and wacky
personalities as Datto and Give Me Chocolate for the Very First Time, and
let's not forget the quiet but fun Sharon, ATWannabe, Mrs. Gorp (quiet? not
at 4am!) and all the "regulars" I've met before. Give Me Chocolate had the
*best* one-liners of the weekend, but I bow to her to repeat them (I'm
certainly NOT gonna!). And let's just say that the chili battle is STILL on,
so look to the Ruck for some damn fiery chili!

Next year, DONT MISS Nimblewill Nomad's presentation. I've never seen an
audience been so captivated by a speaker. He's a master storyteller. A
preacher for hiking. Everyone should hear his talk. Ken Waddell's slideshow
was amazing as well, from a WOW standpoint. Stellar photography. Buy the
book. WOW.

And as for next year, yes, I did tell Beau I'd take on the baton. So give me
your feedback as to what you'd like to see or do. (See separate post)

Re-energized by the weekend (although I do seem to have my bronchitis back
after camping out, big bummer, coughed the whole way back down the coast), I
drove through the Greens and the Berkshires, also new territory to me.
Vermont is awesome with all those little villages and NO McD's and NO
Walmart. I could learn to love living in a place like that. Followed the
Taconic State Parkway just so I could see the Catskills again-- stomping
ground from when I was a wee little hiker with mum & dad.

Stopped at DWG hostel. Eau de thru hiker apparent immediately on opening door.

Me: "Anyone seen Felix?"
Three people look up from their pizza slices, but only for a moment
Her: "Who's Felix?"
Me: "Southbounder"
Him: "Haven't heard of Felix in the registers..."
Me: "Oops. Southbound last season. Section hiking now."
Him: "Ahhhhhh....nope."
Hands me register. I look. No Felix.
Me: "Thanks."

Thought a moment about offering a ride or something, but they were deep into
communing with their pizza again. So I headed off towards Easton, figuring I
wouldn't try to hike in and meet Felix after all.

Did the I-81 thing on the way back, pretty much. More serious serendipity
along the way, thanks to hiker karma. Another Crampton Gap experience, this
time in the sunshine and with the museum director. Killer fall foliage around
Ronoake and Damascus (where car turned 122,900 miles. Meaningful.). Back
through Erwin (wave to Red!) and up past Asheville ...awesome ride on US 23,
but no hikers at the border. The car turned 123,000 miles at Forks of Ivy.
Meaningful?

Now back in FL, missing the Appalachians BAD after just leaving them 24 hours
ago...I need mountains. MOUNTAINS! 4,000 miles later...whew. What a trip.

Cheers, Navigator