Re: [at-l] North-South v. South-North

In reading this, keep in mind that I have yet to hike the AT in either
direction, so what follows are simply the (hopefully informed) opinions of
another wannabe.

As you stated, the majority of people hike it south to north.  If you are a
social animal and like a lot of company, this is where to find it.  This
direction also gives you a little bit of cold weather at the beginning and a
little bit of cold weather at the end with the good summer weather through
the majority of the hike.

North to south will give you much more solitude.   It is probably more
physically demanding as well.  As soon as you come down off Katahdin (no
picnic for the out of shape), you head right into the 100 mile wilderness.
You are warned by signs not to proceed without at least 10 days worth of
food.  So you head out without the benefit of months of conditioning carrying
perhaps the heaviest pack of the entire trip.  And once you get in there, you
fight the sticking mud which hasn't yet dried up with the summer heat and the
mosquitoes that come with those warm wet conditions.  Once you come out of
the 100 mile wilderness, you have another week or two and you get into
Mahoosic Notch and the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  This is reputedly
the toughest sustained section of the entire trail with many steep rocky
climbs, and mile after mile above tree line, exposed to wind and weather.  Of
course by this time we're talking late June weather, but snow is not an
uncommon occurrence on Mt Washington during any month of the year.  But from
there on, it's all easy sledding (so to speak).  Another consideration is
that a finish on Mt Springer is apt to be anti-climactic, as it is just
another high place in the woods.  Katahdin, on the other hand is a glorious
and majestic peak, fully worthy as a crowning final accomplishment for such a
journey.

All that said, my own plans are for ME>GA.   I figure I can always save pack
weight through the 100 mile wilderness by eating mosquitoes.  ;-)

Snail Male