Re: [at-l] Hepatitis A on the AT

Actually, you are quite correct. The problem is in what the iodine is doing
and what the filter is doing.

The 20 minutes of Iodine exposure is based on the idea of unfiltered water
with Giardia cysts. Giardia is the toughest critter to kill, hence iodine
needs prolonged exposure.

The purifiers work with first filtering (gets the larger cysts and
critters) and then iodinating the viruses that pass through the filter.
Viruses don't tolerate iodine, at all.

Hence, the belt and suspenders type of person would filter water and then
iodinate it. The purifiers do this conveniently, but for a cost. It is all
an individual decision. We won't even begin to discuss UV and other hi-tech
controversies.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA