Re: [at-l] Glucosamine/knee problems

Orangebug,

I encourage you to experiment on your dog. It was my older dog that brought me to glucosamine sulfate. I had heard of glucosamine but thought it was just another 'fad' remedy especially since I had heard that it was considered by doctors to be only a placebo. A friend was over one day and we were out in my yard with my dogs. Tim noticed how lame my older dog was (he had difficulty standing and walking, he was also obviously in pain much of the time) and commented that his older dog was that lame before he started giving him glucosamine. Within a month, Tim said, he was running around and playing 'catch the frisbee' along with the younger dog.=20

Since he slipped the pill into a treat the dog didn't even know he was getting a pill. Even if he did he's unlikely to understand that it is supposed to make his joints better so it couldn't be explained as a placebo effect. I bought some and started giving it to the dog and taking it myself. I had a severe case of runners knee that was painful about 75% of the time. I was considering surgery. I did not start with megadoses as many do. I took two 250mg pills a day, morning and night. Within a week the pain was gone 95% of the time. Thunder (my dog) took longer but a few weeks after starting him out on the same dosage we came home and found him on the sofa. He hadn't been able to get up there for over a year. It may not be 'scientific' but it's all the proof I need and I am a skeptic. The vet approves and was impressed at Thunder's improvement. We both still take 500mg/day. I've never had any problem but it occasionally upsets Thunder's stomach if we aren't care to give him some food at the same time.

I should add that I can't take NSAIDs on a regular basis. I did bad things to my insides on a 4 week schedule of Naprosyn a couple of years ago. It was prescribed to cure a bursitis but instead gave me internal bleeding. I agree that glucosamine isn't an 'emergency' treatment. If you are in pain now and there is no 'contraindication' as you doctor types say, take some aspirin or ibuprofin. It's much quicker. My results with the glucosamine were unusually quick. The average person waits 4-6 weeks before seeing results. I don't have the articles handy that Pat refers to. I found them on the web. I'm sure there's lots of information out there but be careful of claims if they're being made by folks who are selling the stuff. In closing, if you have knee problems glucosamine is NOT A CURE. It helps a lot but depending on how damaged your joints are you may still need surgery and even if the glucosamine helps you'll probably be taking it for the rest of your life. If you stop, the problem will likely return.

Saunterer