[at-l] Southbound? Yeeesh!

Subject: [at-l] Re: Southbound and trail names(was Bryson)
Author:  CWells4638@aol.com at ima
Date:    9/29/99 6:33 PM

In a message dated 9/29/99 12:54:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us writes:

<< Why doesn't the trail see as many southbounders as
      northbounders? The reason is it's tougher >>

In what way is it tougher.  My own plans call for a southbound hike,
beginning at Abol Bridge and skirting GSMNP <if my dog don't go, I don't go>.
 I understand that the White's of NH are some of the ruggedest terrain on the
trail, and southbounders don't have the same amount of time to get in shape
for them.  Anything else I should consider?

Pete Wells
ME>GA 2011 (Ilike to plan ahead)

     Southbounders face:

     1) The hardest single mountain on the whole trail, right off, first thing.

     2) The hardest environment to start within, including extensive black mud
     and black flies, for 3-400 miles. Also and perhaps considerable sneax, too.

     3) The hardest single mountain range, in the Mahosucs. Throughhikers used
     to 2 mph, even in the Whites, bog down and struggle to do 1 mph in the
     stretch into Gorham, NH.

     4) Not only the altitude, but some say the scenery (also) goes downhill
     from ME-->GA.

     5) Water sources that suck later in the year, like during the majority of
     time Southbounders are on the trail.

     6) The fact that the extensive infrastructure of hostels, hotdog stands,
     water pumps and lavatories in state parks, etc, which provide intended or
     accidental support for northbounders (who don't start in January or some
     such silliness. Brrrrr.) is largely closed for Southbounders. Brrrrrr.

     7) No Trail Days for Southbounders.

     8) The fact that The Gathering will probably not be held at any place
     convenient for you to attend in the year you are throughhiking. Murphy's an
     event planner.

     9) Getting lonnnnnnnnily out there. Does things to ya. Ask dat Felix.

     10) Not knowing what it's like to "Walk North With Spring" -- one of the
     most thoroughly amazing activities a mortal person can undertake.

     All that said, were I given the opportunity to throughhike tomorrow, I'd
     probably Southbound, for solitude.

     Sloetoe
     (GA>ME'79)
     (The right way)