Re: [at-l] 2011??

In a message dated 9/30/99 11:55:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tschamp@tiac.net writes:

<< Sheesh, that's like 12 years from now.  Way too far ahead to mumble about.
 You could easily be deceased by then!  The rest of us too!  I suggest you
 do it next year or just find a new hobby.  I never said when I'm likely to
 do a thru, but then I'm a self-acknowledged wimp, addicted to economic
 sufficiency... >>

I would truly love to do the AT end to end next summer.  BUT . . . there's
always a but, isn't there.  I live with the lumbar spine from hell.  Over the
past 14 years, I have undergone 5 major back surgeries and at the same time,
missed over 5 years of work with my employer.  That sort of time off puts one
in a serious financial hole, and also disinclines the employer to grant a 5
month leave of absence so that the employee can go "walkabout".

And yes, I may be dead by then.  But I read my Bible daily to prepare for
that eventuality.  I try to exercise and avoid prime rib more than twice a
day, with the hopes of making it to retirement at 60.  But if I do die, I
would hope that the hard core list members would accept that as a reasonable
excuse for failing to complete a thru hike, rather than lableing me as just
another "quitter".   <To the comedically challenged list members, the
preceding paragraph contained sections of HUMOR>

But I'm a patient man.  At the age of 15 I read a motorcycle road test that
traveled north from the magazine's offices in San Francisco and ended up in
Mendocino, CA, a quaint little town which the author described as "wind chime
of the world."  I knew that I had to see this town and find out what would
evoke such an image from a writer.  It took me 24 years, but I finally made
it in 1990 when I took my (then) 12 year old daughter and crossed the country
by motorcycle.  Taking in 21 National Parks, and Monuments along with
countless National Forests, Grasslands and scenic areas, it is difficult to
say that Mendocino was the high point of the trip, but it was certainly one
of the largest motivating factors behind the trip.

So my time between now and 2011 will be spent:
1:  Working and paying down what seems like the national debt.
2:  Exploring short sections of the AT in 2 and 3 day trips, perhaps even
graduating to one and 2 week trips within a year or so.
3:  Perfecting my equipment list.
4:  Replacing all the equipment that I wear out over the next 12 years.
5:  Training my dog and hiking companion and breaking him in to carrying a
pack - hopefully mine.
6: Perhpas even hiking the Baxter State Park and Smokies sections that I will
be unable to do when my dog accompanies me.
7:  Hopefully spoiling my grandchildren rotten, although my daughter seems
totally unnclined to cooperate in this request.  I keep letting her know that
she still owes me for that trip in 1990, but her general response is "Sue
me".<more humor there>

And as for find a new hobby . . .forsooth.  I have just begun.

Pete "who thoroughly enjoyed Bryson's book, but sees no problem in poking fun
at him, others, or even himself - and who is also thinking of having his
middle name changed to something shorter, like X"  Wells

2011 or bust  --- oh wait a minute.  When I see the two choices in writing
like that . . .  hmmmm.  <more humor there, slighly off color>