Re: [at-l] Let's write our own book!

Per the quote, they walked 1.4 miles every 20 minutes. 1.4 miles times 3 = 4.2 miles/hour. If they walked 8 hours/day that's 33.6 miles per day. Pretty darn good if you ask me (of course you didn't, you're too busy being irate). I'm sure that they didn't do that pace all the time but if I had a stretch of walking at that rate (even a few hours worth) that same observation might cross my mind. Once when running a marathon it occurred to me that even though I was waaayyyy back, the vast majority of people couldn't even run a quarter mile without gasping for air. I felt pretty good about the fact that I could run 26+ miles however slowly. Bill Bryson was expressing a similar feeling. What's wrong with that?

I agree with Orangebug. All this invective toward Bill Bryson is SILLY. Worse than that it's hypocritical. He went out to the AT and did what we supposedly espouse. He hiked his own hike. Not my hike. Not your hike. HIS HIKE! Because he's a writer he wrote about it. A lot of people like the book. You don't. So what! Go read something that you do like, go hike your own hike and stop ranting about his book/hike.

Saunterer