RE: [at-l] new to the list and a bad knee

First, remember that no one in cyber land has any real idea what is wrong
with your knees. An accurate diagnosis by your real world doc, and probably
a visit to a trainer/PT is the first item of business.

As GMC said initially, focus on building up your quads, regardless of the
current status of your knees. Weak quads are the most common cause of knee
pain on the trail, further complicated by over loaded packs. When the
downhills are painful, you are being scolded for excessive weight and poor
conditioning. (Not that anyone _I_ know ever had such a problem!)

What's the easiest and most convenient exercise for your quads? Walk past
the elevator, and start walking the stairs on every occasion. Walk each
step, do not skip steps, do not run. Simply walk the steps.

Next, start walking each day. Walk to the Quiktrip for your cigarettes and
candy bars.

Finally, while sitting in boring meetings and psychotherapy sessions,
extend each leg and hold it for a count of 10, and repeat as many times as
you can stand (or until someone begins to look at you suspiciously).

There are many websites covering this (hint, hint Wild Bill). I was
impressed with several hikers who seem to able to discard knee supports by
the time they hit Standing Indian. I'm also impressed by those who bail out
for "emergency chondrotin" purchases out of Dahlonaga. Get prepared before
those Georgia Hills beat you up.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA