[at-l] speaking of bryson...

i did not read the bryson book the first year it was published.  the
negative publicity, from this list primarily, kept me from it.  i decided
that i would pay the paperback fee and read it when that was published.
little did i know that it was a $13 paperback, not the expected $6.  anyway,
after passing it by for a few weeks, i bought the book and read it...

i enjoyed it.  i recognized much of what he wrote about trailwise.  i
cringed at his characterizations of southerners.  i was disgusted with his
and katz's disregard for the environment...

my first year on the trail, i hiked 900 miles.  his first year, he hiked
800.  my second year, i hiked 1100 miles.  hopefully he will hike a second
year, and do so well.  i hope that he will come away from the gathering
with an awesome respect for the trail and the trail community.  i would like
him to return and give this trail a second go-round...

pittsburgh