Re: [at-l] fall color

> out on the AT this time of year. Does trail traffic (dayhikers,
> overnighters) increase dramatically as the leaves turn color? Is it
> anything like being out over the 4th of July weekend?

The ROADS become more congested. Egads..nothing like seeing tour buses
(called 'em leafpeapers back home) going slow, people pulling over to
take photos, just hordes of people. However, the trails seem to be less
crowded. Weekend (esp. in New Hampshire) can be crowded (but not as bad
as summer!), but during the week, you may have the trail practically to
yourself. Not many people take their hard earned vacation time in the
fall.

  For northern New England, the time for leaf peeping has come and gone.
Because of the drought like conditions this past summer, the leaves
peaked earlier than normal. (So I have been told, I moved out here in
August).  In a "normal" year, early September  the leaves peak in Maine,
norther Vermont and New Hampshire,  slowly working south.
The Berkshires of Mass, and southern VT/New Hampshire  usually peak at
this time of the year. Roughly two weeks from now, the foliage will peak
in CT and in my home state.
(I will admit that even Rhody has some nice woods. The North South Trail
is an 80 mile footpath in Rhody that goes through some suprisingly
isolated areas. it would make a great 3-4 day trip in early October..)

> And, while we're at it, how is fall where you are now?

Well, CO has very few hardwoods. There are cottonwoods which turn BROWN,
but the Aspens (cousins to the birch we know) turn a bright yellow.
Looks like a golden carpet as  viewed  from the mountains.   Methinks
fall is ending out here, though. It snowed the other day here in Ft.
Collins, and I am "only" at 5000 ft.  Up in high country, early winter
has arrived.

 Mags